The 2022 MLB regular season is in the running, but it’s never too early to look forward to next year. On Wednesday afternoon, Major League Baseball announced the 2023 regular season schedule. Opening day is Thursday, March 30, with all 30 teams in action. The All-Star Game is scheduled for Tuesday, July 11 at T-Mobile Park in Seattle.
Most notably, 2023 will be the first season with a new, more balanced one. Interleague divisions will no longer be played in rotation each year. Each team will play at least one series against all other teams starting next season..
“The new balanced schedule will feature all 30 clubs competing for at least one series in 2023,” MLB chief operations and strategy officer Chris Marinak said in a statement. “This new format creates more consistent matchups of opponents as clubs compete for playoff spots, especially in the recently expanded Wild Card round. Additionally, this fan-friendly format provides fans with the opportunity to see more opponent matchups, with a particular focus on dramatically expanding our most exciting interleague matchups and providing greater domestic exposure for star players throughout our game.”
The new schedule format includes 52 divisional matches (previously 76), 64 other intraleague matches (previously 66) and 46 interleague matches (previously 20). Each team will play a four-game home-and-away series against their geographic interleague rival (think Mets vs. Yankees, etc.) plus a three-game series against the other 14 teams in the other league.
Please check the subscribe box to confirm that you wish to subscribe.
Thank you for your registration!
Keep an eye on your inbox.
An error occurred while processing your subscription.
Here are the 15 games on the schedule for Opening Day 2023:
2023 MLB Opening Day Schedule
Now here are some other highlights from the 2023 MLB regular season schedule:
- Mookie Betts returns to Boston for a three-game series August 25-27. Betts has yet to play a game against the Red Sox since being traded to the Dodgers in February 2020.
- Mike Trout will visit his hometown Phillies August 28-30. This will be Trout’s third trip to Philadelphia, the closest MLB team to his hometown of Millville, New Jersey.
- . The Nationals and Phillies will meet in the Little League Classic on Sunday, August 20.
- As always, Jackie Robinson Day will take place on April 15. The third annual Lou Gehrig Day will take place on Friday, June 2, and Roberto Clemente Day will take place on Friday, September 15.
- The last day of the regular season is Sunday, October 1. Ten of the 15 games on the schedule will feature division rivals.
You can get more details on the 2023 schedule here.